CHECK OUT THE PLAYSHOP FREE FOR NEDAW
FRIDAY MARCH 1st 11:30a-12:30p
It’s National Eating Disorder Awareness Week! Lots and Lots of events are happening this week in the Asheville area. Events sponsored by T.H.E. Center for Disordered Eating are included below.
In honor of the week, I will be offering the Reclaiming Beauty Playshop for FREE this Friday, 11:30am-12:30pm at Balance Point Collaborative’s office: 29 Ravenscroft Drive, Suite 300, Asheville, NC 28801. This group is for women of all ages, shapes, sizes who want to heal their body image. Come check out what the Playshop is all about for FREE this Friday, March 1st.
Hope to see you at some of the events this week!
Thanks to those of you who came out to the Embrace the Fabulous You: A Conference for the Frenzied Female last Thursday. In honor of my own Reclaiming Beauty process, I sang on stage for the first time since the last gig I played with my band in California in 2001. “In beauty may I walk…”
Walk in Beauty,
National Eating Disorder Awareness Week 2013: February 24th – March 2nd
The aim of NEDAwareness Week is to ultimately increase outreach and awareness of eating disorders and body image issues, while reducing the stigma surrounding eating disorders and improving access to treatment resources. Eating disorders are serious, life-threatening illnesses – not choices – and it’s important to recognize the pressures, attitudes and behaviors that shape the disorder.
NEDAwareness Week is a collective effort of volunteers, including eating disorder professionals, health care providers, students, educators, social workers, organizations and individuals committed to raising awareness of eating disorders. The impact of increased outreach efforts leads to a greater chance of people seeking out resources and help for an eating disorder, which ultimately saves lives.How NEDAwareness Week Works
NEDA asks everyone to do just one thing to help raise awareness and provide accurate information about eating disorders. As a NEDAwareness Week participant you can be involved in any way that works with your schedule, resources, community, and interests. These events and activities are vital to attracting public media attention – on local, national and international levels.
- BEFRIENDING OUR BODIES YOGA SERIES: 10:00-11:30AM at Asheville Yoga Donation Studio, A NEDAwareness Gentle Yoga Class with Izzy Shurte. This class is open to the public and includes gentle yoga, breath work, and meditation. Donations benefit T.H.E. Center for Disordered Eating in Asheville.
- WORTH THE FIGHT: LOCAL EATING DISORDERS EDUCATIONAL RADIO SERIES:WTZQ AM1600 in Hendersonville has created an educational series on eating disorders that will launch tomorrow, Monday, February 25th in honor of NEDAW 2013!
- WCQS Day Sponsor is T.H.E. Center for Disordered Eating
- NEDAwareness VOICES OF HOPE PANEL: 7:00-8:00PM at Malaprop’s Bookstore/Cafe in downtown Asheville. Join us for an inspiring evening of education and dialogue about recovery from an eating disorder. Listen to a panel of individuals speak from different perspectives about how eating disorders have touched their lives, with a focus on recovery and how it can be achieved. A Q&A with the audience will follow the panel. This event is free and open to the public.
- BEFRIENDING OUR BODIES YOGA SERIES: 5:00-6:15PM at Asheville Yoga Donation Studio, A NEDAwareness Candle Light Gentle Yoga Class with Izzy Shurte. This class is open to the public and includes gentle yoga, breath work, and meditation. Donations benefit T.H.E. Center for Disordered Eating in Asheville.
- EVERYBODY KNOWS SOMEBODY: EATING DISORDERS AND THE RELATIONAL CULTURAL MODEL - 6:00-7:15PM at UNC Asheville’s Department of Health and Wellness, Women’s Health Class. Open to UNC Ashevile Women’s Health students. Heather Wingert, LCSW, Director for T.H.E. Center for Disordered Eating presents on the myths about disordered eating and introduces the Relational-Cultural Model to empowerment, healing, and relational resilience.
- FREE MOVEMENT FOR BODY & SOUL SUPPORT GROUP: 7:00-8:00pm at T.H.E. Center for Disordered Eating office, 297 Haywood Street, Asheville, NC 28801. A free adult support group for disordered eating meets in a safe setting to practice connecting to the body through gentle movement, breath, and mindfulness. This group is held the last Wednesday of every month and led by therapist, Conway Weary and Pilates instructor, Corey Dingess.
- BEFRIENDING OUR BODIES YOGA SERIES: 1:00-2:00PM at Asheville Yoga Center. A NEDAwareness Gentle Yoga Class with Izzy Shurte. This class is open to the public and includes gentle yoga, breath work, and meditation. End NEDAW relaxed, rejuvenated, and strong.